Sharing our roads safely: government action to improve air quality and promote active travel is resulting in more and more people travelling by foot and bike across the UK.
But with construction activity set to increase in 2021 & 2022, there will be more HGVs on our roads and in our communities.
Ensuring the safest construction vehicle journeys with CLOCS has never been more important.
Over 5,500 pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists were injured in a collision with construction vehicles on Britain’s roads in 2018
Why we need CLOCS
Every number is a real person with real injuries – traumatising the casualty, their family, the driver, and witnesses.
- Of the 5,517 incidents, some were only an inch away from a very different outcome. Sadly, 1,884 of those people were Killed or Seriously Injured (KSIs). That’s 8 casualties every working day with life-changing injuries.
- 44% of Vulnerable Road Users (VRUs) killed or injured were pedestrians, 28% motorcyclists and 28% pedal cyclists.
- Driver observation errors (misjudging speed, not looking properly) remain the commonest contributory factor. Pedestrian’s behaviour remains similarly prevalent.
One traumatised family is one too many.
The problem is going to grow if we don’t act now
- More and more people are walking and cycling – both for commuting and leisure. Active travel is high on the government agenda
- This coincides with increased government construction to boost the economy as we ride the coronavirus storm.
|We’re passionate about CLOCS because it works. It saves lives and money. Working with stakeholders from across the construction industry and with our communities is delivering real, long-term sustainable improvements.|
Significant reductions in collisions when an authority required action through progressive planning and procurement policies
Thanks partly to those implementing CLOCS, VRU KSIs involving construction vehicles are declining – but not fast enough.
What’s happening in your area?
|Find out with the interactive CLOCS GB Road Safety Stats tool* – now available exclusively for CLOCS Champions.|
Find out more about incidents on our roads, search by region and much more.
>>> Access it: log-in to your CLOCS portal account – go to Champion resources/GB Road Safety Stats
Not a champion yet? Find out more here
Don’t forget you can sign up to the monthly CLOCS newsletter here
*CLOCS interactive analysis tool interrogates annual GB Road Safety Statistics published by DfT (latest 2018). Construction has identified and used its most common vehicle body types to enable a refined filter of wider HGV (over 3.5t) and LGV (3.5t or under) data.